All 3 and 4-year-olds in England are entitled to 15 hours of free early education each week for 38 weeks of the year. Some 2-year-olds are also eligible.
You can start claiming free early education after your child turns 3. The date you can claim will depend on when their birthday is.
|Child’s birthday||When you can claim|
|1 January to 31 March||the beginning of term on or after 1 April|
|1 April to 31 August||the beginning of term on or after 1 September|
|1 September to 31 December||the beginning of term on or after 1 January|
Your child was born on 15 February 2013. They will become eligible for free early education from the start of term following 1 April 2016.
Some 2-year-olds in England can also get free early education.
You must be getting one of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (local council) to check if your child’s eligible.
- you get Working Tax Credits and earn no more than £16,190 a year
- they have a current statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan
- they get Disability Living Allowance
- they have left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order